Exhibitor Briefing: Creating ‘Open’ Mobile Audio Guides. Why it Matters and What it Offers.
Alex Palin, izi.TRAVEL, The Netherlands , Alex Tourski, IZITEQ / Director, The Netherlands
During this one-hour session, IZI.travel will cover different aspects of using open platforms for publishing content from museums, employing modern mobile technologies – as well as give a workshop on creating high-quality content for mobile audio guides.
Part 1 will cover the theory behind widely available open platforms and open content. Part 2 will offer hands-on experience of creating texts, images, audio and video for your museum’s audio guide, and publishing it online.
Agenda for the session:
Part 1. The Benefits of Open Platforms and Open Content
1.1. Open and free platforms
● What are open platforms and how do museums already use them? (Google Art Project, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr etc)
● What is open content (with examples)?
● How does it all work together? Success stories from real-life museums and cities, plus the synergy of a ‘smart city’
● Open standard as the communication tool between open platforms and open content
1.2. Accessing the open content
● Why is focusing on high-quality content – and not on technology – so important?
● How to get the right content: a sample checklist for creating exciting content (with examples)
● What benefits does the open content bring?
Part 2. Workshop: Create Your Own Mobile Audio Guide in 30 minutes
● Introduction to IZI.travel’s open platform
● Introduction to the workshop
● Content creation: writing texts, making the audio, images and video
● Uploading content to the CMS
● Live presentation of the results
● Marketing your audio guide
● Advanced features in mobile platforms